BME honlap | Oldaltérkép | Impresszum | HU | EN

Health insurance for BME students

For Stipendium Hungaricum (SH) and Young Christian Scholarship holder students

To be entitled for free health care in Hungary, it is necessary to make these steps:

  • Contact your mentor or the mentor team who will assist you in the process.
  • Apply for your residence permit and address card.
  • Apply for TAJ Card (free health care) (please keep in mind that after the application you probably have to wait weeks for the arrival of your card).
  • Apply for Generali health insurance - free of charge. If the arrival of your TAJ card is not expected soon, you can apply for extra insurance – it has limited options but you may not have to wait longer for your treatment (does not cover psychiatric or psychological intervention).


As a regular student, you are not entitled to free health care in Hungary.

  • We do recommend to search for private health care services in Hungary if you need medical help, because after the request of a TAJ Card you probably have to wait weeks to get it.
  • Generali health insurance has limited options. It does not cover psychiatric or psychological intervention or pre-existing diseases.
  • If you decide to apply for the services of the National Healthcare System (i.e. TAJ Card) please visit the website of IMT (What about fee-paying students?).
  • Need help to apply for the TAJ card? Ask the Central Academic Office.